Riverview Park Renovation Plans to Be Presented at the March 13th RNA Meeting
Aaron Johnson, the landscape architect for the Jersey City
architecture department will be our guest at this month's RNA meeting to
present the plans for the Riverview Park renovation that is slated to
begin this year. You will have the opportunity to ask questions
and provide constructive feedback. Ward D Councilman Michael Yun will be
present to to address any questions related to the budget or the City
Council's responsibilities related to the park renovation and the Jersey
City grants coordinator will be in attendance as well.
Here are some of the priorities that the Heights community asked the
city to address as part of this renovation:
- Remove dangerous dead and dying trees and replace them with a variety of hardy long lasting species
- Replace and improve the lighting in the park.
- Reseed all the lawn areas on the park - install an irrigation system to keep the lawns healthy
Redesign the center circle to allow for the farmer's market and events
to setup in center (prevents driving on the grass and frees up the lawns
in the rest of the park). We've asked for a fountain to be installed in
the center and the flag to be moved to the Northwest entrance of the
- Create a small soccer field and multi use turf area south of
the basketball courts for soccer players (also, keeps them off the
lawns in the park). include fencing to protect the nearby buildings.
- Create a dog run at the southern end of the park
- Restore the two monuments in the park (Henry Hudson and WW1 Soldiers and Sailors monument)
- Restore the Bocce ball court
- Preserve and expand the garden area south of the gazebo.
- Add a drinking fountain/bottle fill station in the park.
- Run hose bibs and electricity throughout the park for park maintenance and events.
- replace plantings throughout the park.
- replace/repair the park benches
- Station a park attendant to help maintain the newly renovated park and new trees/plantings.